Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Splits and installs

Today I finally saw evidence of a working queen in one of my splits!

The other split was aggressive last week and I couldn't see any signs of a queen cell that looked 'hinged open' from an emerging queen so I put in a frame of eggs from Demeter.  I never even thought about it, but it seems that the eggs are drones now that they are capped.  They have two capped queen cells on this frame but I'm afraid I will end up with a drag queen. LOL  Today I pulled another frame of eggs from Demeter to put in that hive and see if we can get it queen right.  It did seem calmer today, so maybe it was a fertilized egg they used to make the queen cells.  Also, I remembered to mark the frame with the eggs for ease of checking next week.

One of the packages had released the queen and seems to be doing fine.  The other package still had a way to go on releasing the queen so I poked a small hole in the candy to help them along.  Hope they find their new home to there liking and stay.

No comments: