Saturday, April 24, 2010

Installing two new packages

To day has been a very long bee day.  First my bee buddy John and I did a bee demo for Max's school fund raiser.  Then I drove for 2.5 hours round trip to pick up two packages for myself and a package for the DHS bee club.
When I got home from the trip the rain gave me some reprieve so I took my opportunity to install them.  Instead of using the shaking method of installing the bees I tried a nicer approach and think it went quite well.  I put an empty deep on the bottom board, removed the syrup can and queen cage quickly, recovered the hole and stapled the queen cage to a frame in the middle of the medium that I had ready with frames and stores.  Then I took the package put it on the bottom of the deep hole up, removed the cover to the package and put on the medium, inner cover and outer cover.  No mad bees flying all around.

I did staple the entrance closed for the night and covered the inner cover escape to give them the night to settle in.

Fingers crossed.

2 comments:

Hemlock said...

So the Deep box is empty except for the package box? How much open space was there?

Cassandra said...

On the sides quite a bit of space, the top had a couple of inches. I will be doing another install today with the same method and will take pictures to help explain the method. It was raining on and off when I did the other two so I was in a hurry to just get it done and didn't take pics.