Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Second swarm

Monday I received another call for a swarm pick up. It just happened to be about 1/4 mile from my work, so I grabbed a box from out back and went to the house w/ the swarm. It is a small swarm, about 1.5 grapefruits worth. Maybe 2lbs.

They were attached to this magnolia branch. I held the box up to them, sniped and off I went after about 15 mins to let the stragglers join them.

I put them in the Top Bar Hive and they honestly just don't seem to be to happy w/ this new home. I have a ball of them that keep hanging on the screened underside and they aren't making any comb even after I gave them a foundation starter strip. I need to put together some more equipment and see if they would be happier in the nuc for a while.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: