Monday, April 6, 2009

Bee buddies and Luna's new queen

Last year when I went to Lula, Ga for a organic beekeeping class and picked up 2 packages of bees and I met John. John has been such a help to me, he is a new beekeeper as well, but always has time to talk over the situation, lend me equipment when needed and keep me on track as to treatments. We have different styles that complement each other, I'm a little to let nature do its thing side and he's very much what should we be doing now kind of guy

Yesterday he drove to Lula and got new queens for himself and I. He also gave me a super deluxe hive tool, a cool red light to check the bees out in the dark (bees don't see red). Some wedges to help hold the queen cage in place and some new nitrile gloves.

I came home and installed the queen in Luna in not the most favorable conditions. It had been overcast and raining on and off. Got stung once on the leg through my jeans and once on the stomach through my shirt. The sting on my leg wasn't bad but my stomach is still swollen, red and angry. I didn't get the tight throat feeling, but did get extremely itchy hands and feet. Took a benadryl which helped greatly. I also moved them to a 10 frame deep and I'm preparing a Medium to go on top of the deep ASAP.

Hope putting in a new queen was the right move, but in reality I like the calmer bees that this new queen will produce. Fingers crossed.

No comments: