Sunday, June 20, 2010

Queenless and bee math

Friday I went into all six hives that I have at my house.


  • The CSX split is fine, but not building comb and building up as well as I would like.  I will continue to feed them and try to get them where they need to be for winter.
  • Both packages that I started this year are doing fine, but I will continue to to keep feeding them as well.
  • The combined split is doing well and should be able to over winter without any further help
  • Demeter is queenless!  I did find two superseder cells with capped worker brood around them.  Bee math tells me that if indeed this was a superseder by the hive the queen had just hatched since the queen takes 4 days less to hatch then worker brood which was still surrounding the queen cells.  It takes about 2 weeks for the queen to orient to the hive, do her mating flight and start to lay.  I will check again in two weeks to see if a queen is laying.  

This bottom queen cell looks like it was distroyed by the first emerging queen.

No comments: