Sunday, June 20, 2010

High school inspection

Today Zack, Jason and I did a quick inspection.  It was scorching hot so we were brief,  but the bee club hive is doing well and we will continue to feed them to get them up to par for winter.

The CSX hive is so impressive.  Two deeps full of brood and two mediums full, but not finished being capped, of honey.  I pulled two frames of eggs and larvae and one frame of capped brood to add to Demeter just for insurance.

When I got home I put the three frames in Demeter and I'm even more convinced that there is a virgin queen, but it still doesn't hurt to give them a boost of young workers.  Max and I watched a baby worker hatching on one of the frames I pulled out it had just a few capped brood left to hatch.  Here is a youtube video of an emerging bee.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kv6U62GJBo

No comments: