Monday, March 8, 2010

Demeter today

I looked inside my hive at home today for the first time since winter.  It has 2 deeps and a medium.  The medium on top was full of honey!  The top deep had lots of brood and some stores, the bottom deep was all older caped brood and pollen stores.  I pulled 5 of the medium frames and replaced them with new frames with foundation or drawn comb.  I also had a deep that was attached to the next frame and the side of the hive.  It was mostly honey, but it did have some brood as well.  I replaced those two frames as well.  I need to give them some growing room and work to do so they don't swarm.  I hope those empty frames will keep them busy.

John some hive stands as well so I put one of those in and plan on getting the rest in this week for the new packages I'm expecting.

The 24 hour mite count was low so this hive is good till Aug or so. : )

No comments: