Sunday, March 7, 2010

Could it bee spring?


Today I did my first inspection of the DHS hive.  This hive consists of a deep on bottom and two mediums.  I had done a mite could last week and decided that I was at threshold.  Not sure how many was there for a 3 day count but more then the 150 or less I was hoping for.

The top medium has lots of capped stores, and a small amount of drone brood.  The second deep was mostly full of egg, larvea and capped and stores.  The deep had capped brood and some stores.  I should have reverse the 2nd medium with the deep to give her some more room to lay.  If I don't do some management to open up the brood nest and add a super by the end of the month I think they could swarm.

Because of the mites I did a formic acid treatment from Mite Awayll.  I hate that I had to treat at all.  I'm not a user of chemicals, organic or not, but if I didn't treat I would have lost this hive by fall I believe.  The treatment was easy to do.  Here is a video on how to do it.

Lots of pretty pollen coming in.  The deep red is from Henbit.

I also noticed that he water station was being well used.  



After the inspection at the DHS I went to Oakhurst garden to do a inspection with Curtis Gentry.  Two weeks ago when I was at the inspection there one hive was really struggling and Curtis suggested that we switch it with another hive that was doing well.  The purpose of this is to instantly boost the adult working force of the weak hive.  The bees that were out foraging will come back to their normal location, but go into the weaker hive that was put in their original location.  The stronger hive will  receive the small amount of workers from the weak hive. It seems to have worked.  The weaker hive was doing much better. 

No comments: