Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Smithy bee swarm

I was contacted yesterday about a swarm of bees that was high (30ft) in a tree on Friday/Saturday then moved to the ground Sunday/Monday.  They were reported as being a bit defensive (poor basset hound was the one to find them on the ground) so my first thought was that they might have been poisoned already and would probably be gone by this am when I could go and look at them.  Luckily for me they had reformed on a branch that hung from about 2.5ft high to the ground with their weight.  I would guess it was 5+lbs of bees.  I picked up the part of the branch that was laying on the ground and put in into the swarm box and then simply snipped branch that held the bees and I had the queen and most of the bees.  They are now living at my friends house and they seemed quite happy to have a roof, stores and a place to lay eggs.  Per request of the nice couple who contacted me to get these bees I dub thee Smithy Bees.





2 comments:

~annie said...

I'm a brand-new beekeeper and just discovered you blog. Great info especially some of the photos of frames/brood from last year - they really helped me figure out was I was seeing on my frames. Thanks!

Cassandra said...

Annie,
Thanks and good luck!