Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Hive updates

  • Demeter, the mother hive, seems to be doing well.  Pulled another 5 medium frames of capped honey today.
  • Split #1, this is the split that has a laying queen.  They still have room in the deep and are drawing comb and pulling in nectar.
  • split #2, this split will not cooperate and produce a queen.  I'm giving them one more week to see eggs or they will get combined with another hive.
  • package #1, I added another medium to this hive since they had drawn and filled out most of the first deep.  The queen is laying and they look like they are doing a good job.
  • package #2, This hive received a 2nd medium last week and they have hardly touched it.  I moved some more frames with stores to the top in hopes of luring them up.
  • CSX split, I made this split 8 days ago and today when I checked on them one side of a frame with brand new eggs as spotted!  Hopefully I didn't get the original queen from the CSX hive, but I don't think so.  She must have hatched right after I made the split and and got right to mating to be laying eight days later!
My be yard is quite the mess!  I need to pull down the fence, finish dispersing the dirt from the garden beds that I removed and put up a nice new fence with a gate and stands or rails for the hives that are just sitting on blocks.

No comments: