Monday, August 3, 2009

Packed smoker


Today was a very defeating day with the hot hive, but on the upside I think I have my smoker down. I use burlap bag scrapes as my fuel. It lights easily and give a nice cool smoke. Usually it runs out of smoke when I really need it so today I tried the stuffing technique I saw at UGA's young harris. Bill Ownes really packed and squeezed the bellows. His fuel of choice is pines straw and I bet that he put in a couple of pounds of needles in his industrial size smoker. He said that it would last all day and could sit used for several hours and not go out. I was doubtful. Today I light the first piece stuck it in the smoker, kind of pushing it towards the bellows to let the air flow and its was flaming. In goes the second piece followed by the same process of pumping air through. I usually stop here. It mostly fills my smoker and seems like another piece would snuff it out. Not wanting to run out during my work on the hot hive I put it in anyways and hope for the best. I didn't last long with the hot bees, but my smoker last hours and was hardly ever used.

No comments: