Sunday, December 21, 2008

Ventilation and condensation....

I'm still playing with different theories on keeping the hive warm as well as letting the condensation out.

Now what I have set up is a closed bottom board, 1/3 of the entrance is open, two deeps, then a inner cover (w/o notch) empty super, another super with insulation in it and then the top cover. I little over kill for middle Georgia I know, but till I play with all these things I wont know how best to make them winter maintenance free.

The key to all this seems to be a nickel in each front corner, between the two supers, to let out the moisture. I noticed that my inner cover had wet, slightly swollen corners when I was reconfiguring so I know water was rising to the top and running to the front of the inner cover as well as collecting on the sticky board when in. Even when the board wasn't in I believe this was still happening so I don't think a open bottom board would suffice for ventilation.

No more water on sticky board and the hive smells like it should.

About 30 mites in a 24 hour period. I think they will overwinter fine.

I will add a picture when I can.

1 comment:

Linda T said...

I don't know any beekeepers in Atlanta who wrap their hives for winter. The only beekeepers I know who do keep bees in Nebraska, Minnesota, states like that where they have snow. We need the ventilation to keep the moisture from accumulating in the hive, so a SBB and no wrap works better for me. The wrap may be part of why you have mold on the bottom board.