Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Hive helpers from my friend John

My beekeeping friend, John, is a zealous bee landlord and has been giving me suggestions and ideas to help me build up my colony and keep it healthy.

One of the things he sent me was this link on inverted sugar water. John brought over a communal feeder and several mason jars of inverted sugar water with honey b healthy added. I can't seem to get any interest in the communal feeder so far, but they sucked down a pint of inverted sugar water w/ the honey b healthy yesterday from the interior feeder. Before the regular sugar syrup was lasting 4 or 5 days.

John also suggest a pollen substitute to help things along. I put some loose next to the interior feeder, but no interest so far in it. I made a pollen patty w/ the inverted syrup I think I will put in today when I add a new feeder jar.

John also was kind enough to share his thyme oil with me to do a mite treatment. As soon as I can find some thing to put under the hive to do mite check I will be doing a treatment.

No comments: