Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Housel position for foundation


I have inserted my frames in my hive according to the theory of Housel positioning. This is taken from May 2006 newsletter, Northern Lights, The Newsletter of the North Devon Branch of the British Beekeepers Association.

Whilst examining wild comb, a gent named Michael Housel made the observation that, in wild comb, bees position cells on opposite sides of the comb in a particular way, and that therefore in providing foundation for comb building, we beekeepers should copy that positioning.

This positioning all depends on the "Y" formation viewed at the bottom of each cell. To understand this fully, you will need to have a sheet of foundation in front of you (or drawn comb) – then all will be revealed.

On one side of the foundation, if you look at the bottom of the indentations that will form the new cells, the faint lines in the bottom of each cell will either show a "Y" pattern or an inverted "Y" pattern. Have a look at the figures below. Now turn the sheet around (sideways, don’t flip it up the other way) and you will see that, on the other side, the "Ys" are the opposite way up.

The last time I tried this method I found that the brood still was clustered towards the left side of the hive, which is next to my white house. Maybe the heat reflecting from the house was more alluring then the position of the Y?

I have marked the inverted Y's with a I for inner and inverted. I will try it again and see what happens.



No comments: